English Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

English Project

I am currently working on making an Documentary for my English 4 class. The video itself is incomplete, but this is part of it. The entire video will be about 15 minutes long. My topic is "Should Americans reduce the amount of natural resources they consume at the cost of their lifestyles?" In this clip, I am focusing on oil. Later on I will be adding a title before the first scene, but have not had time to do so yet. This clip is suppose to show the "Battle" for oil. No offense to any military that we might have, I totally respect what you guys do, and I believe that it is the greatest honor one could possibly uptake. I will be adding information, like how much America consumes yearly, how much the average American consumes, production vs. consumption rates, etc. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpFkERUxKtA

NOTE: Shows United Airlines Flight 175 crashing into the WTC. Don't want anyone to get mad or disturbed seeing that. Bothers me every time I see that...
    We work in the dark, to serve the light. We are Assassins.

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Personal opinion aside, I would take out the image of the dead Marine at 24 secs. That image is entirely too strong and too many people know someone that has gone to fight for this country and not come back.

Whether you agree with the war in Iraq or not, if you have any respect for the armed forces, than a graphic shot of a dead American soldier should not be used to illustrate a point. We owe them more than that. Use a flag-draped coffin or a shot of Arlington to make your point.
    [url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/Thrashdragon][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/violet/Thrashdragon.png[/img][/url]
    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/spikedz/TD_Latin.png[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Thrashdragon
      Personal opinion aside, I would take out the image of the dead Marine at 24 secs. That image is entirely too strong and too many people know someone that has gone to fight for this country and not come back.

Whether you agree with the war in Iraq or not, if you have any respect for the armed forces, than a graphic shot of a dead American soldier should not be used to illustrate a point. We owe them more than that. Use a flag-draped coffin or a shot of Arlington to make your point.
      Disagree! ( No offense Trashdragon ) This was brought before with ( WW2 ) in the pacific. A a photographer wanted too show dead Marines on a beach a island held by the Japanese. There were alot of Marines dead on that beach. They did more than just there job they paid with there lives! After some debate it was decided by the Department Of Defense too release the photo too show why Americans were giving there lives for this country and it fueled a even stronger support for the war and too end it as quickly as possible! So it should be the same now! Whether if it is right or wrong its our troops. Support them 100%!! I do!! Not saying you do not.

Comment

Quality and/or shock value of the clips aside, I'm not sure the video clips you're showing are in any way relevant to the subject of the consumption of natural resources by the United States...

A segment on oil is very important, that's pretty clear. However, I just don't see the connection to oil with the clips you've shown. If you could find some facts that show the US has gained a significant amount of oil, or that gasoline prices have declined as a direct result of military success in the middle east, it would be more convincing.

You're definitely on the right track talking about US consumption. You might also consider looking into how other countries have reduced their consumption of natural resources... France is mostly nuclear, I think Brazil encourages the use of public transportation by making the buses control the traffic lights (so they always have the right of way). There's a conspiracy theory about electric cars being "beta tested" in California, and then suddenly revoked and no one ever heard from them again even though they were deemed a success...

It's a really interesting topic, so I think you can make some really interesting findings. I guess the trick is figuring out how much each American will have to change his or her life to make a significant impact on the consumption of natural resources...

Comment

from an editing point of view not to shabby
          i dont know what program ur using but heres a few things that might help

1. instead of lowering the music so much so quickly with the bush clip, start lowering a little earlier and half the amount of drop and boost the bush clip sound by half
          2. there are several parts were you took clips from other movies, this is fine but make sure to cut things such as camera changes and transitions from those clips out
          3. lower the sound of the tank firing the missle by just a tad its just a little loud

other then that great job looking foward to the final result

Comment

+1

I know I wouldn't want my body being used as an example.

Comment

Should Americans reduce their consumption of oil?

Yes. Everyone, even conservatives like me, agree to that.

So we have all these events that you show that are supposed to be connection points to the thesis.

The problem here is that Oil is a slim percentage in terms of contribution to the conflicts portrayed.

You need to settle that problem in the clips that come before, precede, this roll of events in order to make a point.

Otherwise, you will have people like me crawling all over you about topical points such as:

Terrorist escalation factors dating back to the Beruit bombing of the marine barracks.

Our sudden abandonment of tribal factions in places such as Iran and Afghanistan, which resulted in resentment by both the sides we defended as well as the enemies within those theatres.

The non-reciprical nature of the global community when it comes to bank loans, aid, and trade agreements- Where today we are refusing to extend these agreements and are in the midst of a global backlash led by such communities such as the EU and the United Nations.

And etc. ad nauseum.

Just narrow the focus in the precedent clips so that you dont have to deal with people who want to change the subject by exploiting lax interpretations.

Comment

Originally posted by (DSP)-Bar

+1

I know I wouldn't want my body being used as an example.
                +1
                I am with the others who share this opinion.

Show some solar panels, windmills, hydroelectric, and the likes. Gear it more toward actual energy consumption. I agree with L_MO's suggestive comment.

Comment

OMG

I am soooo sorry I did not realize that was a Marine. That WILL be editited out. I apoligize.

The point that I am trying to stress, is that ever since 9/11 and deployed into the middle east, oil prices have risen exponentially, and we are paying for it in American lives. I have yet to add the information into that scene yet, because I can't figure out how to get a blank 5 second scene so I can add the info. I am using CyberLink PowerDirector 6.

Again this is not meant to offend serving in the military, and this is not meant to be viewed as some sort of conspiracy theory thing. We have done a great thing for Iraq and Afghanistan by giving the people a Democratic Government, who protects the rights of all citizens. I am proud of our men and women serving in the military. We really do live in a great country.

Comment

Revision

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_5c2He6HHM

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,184   Posts: 269,831   Members: 6,182   Active Members: 5
                    Welcome to our newest member, newiron09.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to BF4 new easter egg.. need to know moriss code
                      by newiron09
                      BTW on iOS use "Light Conversation", its an app from an artist...he spreaded it for light arrangements(stories in lights) in a city...propably...
                      15 Sep 2024, 09:24 AM
                    • Reply to Otterbox is 10 years old
                      by newiron09
                      Having tried many cases I've given up on expensive ones. Not convinced they are significantly better than an inexpensive gel case for 1/10 the money....
                      15 Sep 2024, 09:20 AM
                    Working...
                    X