Quake hits England

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quake hits England

Woah! Meant to post this up when it happened. It felt like quite a biggy. Like a chopper was hovering over my house. Better go pick some stuff up that has fallen and broken.

This hit quite a large stretch of England by the looks of things. Originated near London and people close to the border with Scotland felt it too. Only lasted about 15 seconds but it was well scary.

Earth tremor felt across England

People from across large parts of England have reported an earth tremor.

The BBC has received calls from people in Staffordshire, Warwickshire, Leicestershire, Manchester, Berkshire and the West Midlands about a "quake".

The tremor could be felt in central Birmingham at about 0100 GMT but it is unclear if it has caused any damage.
    From the news so far it started near Kingston and was felt strongly up to Newcastle.

Damn, well glad to see you are okay Jun. Hopefully there wasn't too much destruction. Stay safe.

Comment

Ah quakes, so much fun.

Just ride em and don't worry about it, They rarely do any REAL harm anymore (unlike all those other natural disasters). Hope you made it out ok though

Comment

Doh, it started south of Kingston Upon Hull.... not Kingston. Damn names being the same! It was felt in London though.

No real damage done. Just made a dash for my LCD TV just in case.

http://www.emsc-csem.org/index.php?p...tail&id=79520#

Comment

Glad to hear all is ok there juneau. Hope there weren't any injuries or much damage due to this.

Are quakes real common in England, or was this one of those odd rare occurrences?
          [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/Igorod/troopdod.jpg[/img]
          [url=http://profile.xfire.com/trooper110][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/co/type/1/trooper110.png[/img][/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper110
            Glad to hear all is ok there juneau. Hope there weren't any injuries or much damage due to this.

Are quakes real common in England, or was this one of those odd rare occurrences?
            They are quite common yeah. But they're normally really small.

Comment

As R.E.M. sings in the background "It's the end of the world as we know it, but Juneau will be fine......................."

Quakes are always a trip. And you never know if they really have stopped until you realize that it's your heart pounding.

Comment

most people in southern california would have thought a big truck just drove by. glad to hear you and yours are fine juneau.

Comment

Originally posted by drunken_chef
                  most people in southern california would have thought a big truck just drove by. glad to hear you and yours are fine juneau.
                  We're so used to them, even if it IS big enough to know for sure that it's a quake, most people just respond with "oh, there's another one" and keep going about your day after it's done

Comment

we dont get many reports about quakes on our lil island since most of them are so small that they dont even deserve the name of a tremor its more of a footstep or somthing but out of the hundreds we have each year that arnt felt by people there have been 2 in the past year or so that have actually made it to the news, this one and one we had in the north of scotland a while back. there have probably beed more reported but i just havnt seen it .

Comment

My father in law tried to dive under the bed during the big on , in California, in the '70s. Unfortunately he forgot he was in a hotel.
                      I am glad to hear everyone is ok.
                      Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
                      Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
                      I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
                      Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

The biggest earthquake in the UK for nearly 25 years has shaken homes across large parts of the country.

People in Newcastle, Yorkshire, London, Cumbria, the Midlands, Norfolk and also parts of Wales, felt the tremor just before 0100 GMT.

A man suffered a broken pelvis when a chimney collapsed in South Yorkshire.

The British Geological Survey (BGS) said the epicentre of the 5.2 magnitude quake was near Market Rasen in Lincolnshire
                        Closest to our biggest ever which was 6.1.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7266136.stm

Captured on video on that page too. But very small compared to what i felt.

Comment

I felt it. I thought someone was breaking in through the window at first. Then I was like "OMG! EARTHQUAKE!".

This rather attractive young lady made a video describing it.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4pgqslglejA

Comment

Im very happy that you are alright JUN...be safe........moe

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonFire
                              Ah quakes, so much fun.

Just ride em and don't worry about it, They rarely do any REAL harm anymore (unlike all those other natural disasters). Hope you made it out ok though
                              Carbo-

It isnt Like Cali out there- they dont get the tremors regularly.
                              That means their buildings break a bit more quickly.
                              Think about what happend in Nevada the other day- and apply it to England.

And it tends to scare the hell out of the fish....

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,184   Posts: 269,831   Members: 6,182   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, newiron09.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to BF4 new easter egg.. need to know moriss code
                                by newiron09
                                BTW on iOS use "Light Conversation", its an app from an artist...he spreaded it for light arrangements(stories in lights) in a city...propably...
                                15 Sep 2024, 09:24 AM
                              • Reply to Otterbox is 10 years old
                                by newiron09
                                Having tried many cases I've given up on expensive ones. Not convinced they are significantly better than an inexpensive gel case for 1/10 the money....
                                15 Sep 2024, 09:20 AM
                              Working...
                              X