Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What got you started in the "Combat FPS" games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What got you started in the "Combat FPS" games?

Not sure where to have posted this....but to be honest....there was a time..... a time BEFORE combat simulators/FPS's.

I was introduced to a cheaply made game that I got for 10 bucks at the Bargain bin of a walmart...ran it on a laptop and hooked into a friends laptop for a little 1 on 1 action.

The game.

Delta Force.

That game got me hooked from THEN on for combat FPS's....can the same be said for mos tpeople here on Cain's lair?

It was an awesome game for it's time, right?

I liked the idea of the whole "Landwarrior" gear.

007 and Perfect Dark for the N64. I didnt have a computer until I was about 15 or so, the first PC one I played was CS, when I got my first comp, Halo PC. Then came Battlefield 2142.

Comment

I remember Delta Force...they used that voxel stuff which looked great but was quickly overshadowed by whatever 3D engine came out at the time.

My first FPS was the original Doom...played in a 2x3 window so it would run on my Dad's crappy XT/AT/whatever it was. I still remember hiding in a dark corridor to ambush my buddy (as we played over our 1400 baud modems), and he snuck up behind me and chainsawed me in the back, scaring me half to death.

Goldeneye on the N64 was the first one to really hook me, though. We played that game for hours and hours on end. I was a master at banking grenades off of walls and around corners. Still one of the best FPS games ever made.
      [url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/Thrashdragon][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/violet/Thrashdragon.png[/img][/url]
      [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/spikedz/TD_Latin.png[/img]

Comment

Goldeneye for sure. On the PC side, I had this 7 cd set of about 200 games/demos back around 1995, and there were a few bad, yet somehow intriguing, FPS games on there. Aside from Doom, there were a handful of others that helped hook me on the genre.

If I had started on something like Descent, that would have been it for me. That remains the single most nauseating game I have ever played. I didn't make it more than 5 minutes into the thing before having to give up.

-Rand
        [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4333/35734799273_0013dbe418_z.jpg[/img]

Killing CLRs since 2004. BOOSH!
        Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Goldeneye for me too. My first online FPS was UT2K4.

Comment

Doom, then Quake. I guess Wolfenstein was the first FPS I tried, but after seeing Doom playing on a PC thru the store window as I walked by a store, I knew right there and then that this was going to be HUGE !!
            I went into the store and picked up the three 3.5" floppy shareware version and played in non-stop until the full version showed up at the house. Wolf 3D was indeed the grandaddy of FPS games, but it paled in comparison to Doom, as Doom paled compared to Quake. Quake was what started the 3D card revolution, and to this day I'd say it was my favorite game.
            Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

If you are talking about my first on line FPS then it was Delta Force. The Voxel Engine was great for the time. It allowed for extremely large maps with at least a 1 K viewing distance. If you liked to snipe Delta Force 1 & 2 were great. Delta Force 2 introduced grass that you could crawl through and hide in.
              The first FPS I played was Wolfenstein 3D. I went on to Doom from there and many others after that.
              Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
              Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
              I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
              Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Goldeneye...1st online FPS was RTCW.
                [url="http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/19030358"]Dracontius - North America - Summoners - League of Legends Statistics - lolking.net[/url] - My LoL stats etc

[URL="http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/?ref=4b6dbfab44e82"]http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/?ref=4b6dbfab44e82[/URL] - Use link if you want to play League of Legends.

Comment

-The first i played was Delta Force too...

-And then wolfenstein

-Then a friend of me, told me about Americas Army, and then i played that in 2 years ontill CoD4 come but still playing Americas Army^^

Comment

I prefer PD over 007 any day. But, have you guys tried to play either of those games recently? How the hell did we play a game, and play it so hardcore(I know some of us were freaking monsters, like we are now), with that controller?
                    I tried to play PD recently, and OMG it is soo hard on that controller.

Comment

Doom. my first online game was Unreal.

Comment

quake2 man only the best

Comment

My first FPS was really obscure, so much so even I forgot the name

Black Stone: Aliens of Gold

only a single player FPS, and not even a true FPS at that. I wasn't allowed to play Wolfenstein or Doom, because of the subject matter (shooting aliens was fine, but not demons ).

Though I never owned an N64, I played a lot of 4-player Goldeneye64 action back in the day. Temple + Rockets = Win

My first true Online MP FPS was Counter Strike in the spring of 2000 (on my first self-built computer....w00t!). Those betas were so much fun before the community went to crap with release of the retail game.

Comment

Wolfenstein and CS

sigh...

Sega genesis before them.

Comment

Originally posted by (DSP)-Bar
                              Wolfenstein and CS

sigh...

Sega genesis before them.
                              ]
                              What FPS were you playing on Genesis? and why sigh about it?

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,184   Posts: 269,831   Members: 6,182   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, newiron09.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to BF4 new easter egg.. need to know moriss code
                                by newiron09
                                BTW on iOS use "Light Conversation", its an app from an artist...he spreaded it for light arrangements(stories in lights) in a city...propably...
                                15 Sep 2024, 09:24 AM
                              • Reply to Otterbox is 10 years old
                                by newiron09
                                Having tried many cases I've given up on expensive ones. Not convinced they are significantly better than an inexpensive gel case for 1/10 the money....
                                15 Sep 2024, 09:20 AM
                              Working...
                              X