The Wilhelm Scream compilation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Wilhelm Scream compilation

Like most American kids in the 1950's, Ben Burtt went to the movies .. a LOT !! Movie budgets were much smaller back then, and film studios re-used whatever they could - props, sets, footage, sound effects,everything. If you watched the movies carefully, you might have noticed things you'd seen and heard in other movies.

Burtt noticed. He was good at picking out sounds, and especially one scream in particular. "Every time someone died in a Warner Bros. movie, they'd scream this famous scream", he says.

By the 1970's, Burtt was working in the movie business himself, as a sound designer - the guy who creates the sound effects. Years had passed, but he never forgot that Warner Bros. scream, so when he got a chance, he decided to track down the originator of the scream. No one could remember what actor had originally been hired to record the scream, so Burtt jokingly named it after a character in a 1953 movie, Charge at Feather River. The character, named Wilhelm, screams the scream after he is struck in the leg with an arrow.

The Wilhelm scream is now over 50 years old, but if you heard it, you'd probably recognize it, because Burtt, who's worked on every George Lucas film, used it often. "That scream gets in every picture I do, as a personal signature" he says.

So when you hear a Wilhelm scream in a film, can you assume that Burtt did the sound effects ? No - when other sound designers heard what he was doing, they'd insert it into their films as well. Apparently, Burtt isn't the only one good at noticing re-used sounds, as over 66 movies feature a Wilhelm scream at some point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdbYsoEasio
    Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

LOL too funny. Neat find.

There's a long, guttural, drawn out scream that's been used in tons of video games and movies that I would love to know the origin of. Kinda hard to describe a scream, but it's something like geeeeeeeeeYAAAAAAAAARRRGHHH.

Hmm. That doesn't help at all, does it?
    [url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/Thrashdragon][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/violet/Thrashdragon.png[/img][/url]
    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/spikedz/TD_Latin.png[/img]

Comment

From time to time, I'll watch Star Wars 4-6 with the commentary on. Ben Burt has really insightful stuff to say throughout the movie. It's interesting to hear how they got some of the sounds.

Comment

Thrash, I think the sound you are referring to is the same sound that you hear whenever you reach a level up bonus in CoD4 !!! Its amazing how many times I've heard that sound FX used in games, dating back at least 8 years now. I'm sure I heard it first in the 3d FPS Dark Forces, a Lucas Arts game from 1995.
        Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,184   Posts: 269,831   Members: 6,182   Active Members: 5
        Welcome to our newest member, newiron09.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to BF4 new easter egg.. need to know moriss code
          by newiron09
          BTW on iOS use "Light Conversation", its an app from an artist...he spreaded it for light arrangements(stories in lights) in a city...propably...
          15 Sep 2024, 09:24 AM
        • Reply to Otterbox is 10 years old
          by newiron09
          Having tried many cases I've given up on expensive ones. Not convinced they are significantly better than an inexpensive gel case for 1/10 the money....
          15 Sep 2024, 09:20 AM
        Working...
        X