Batman graphic novels.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Batman graphic novels.

With the Dark Knight coming out in a few months, I've become more interested in the Batman universe. I want to get some graphic novels to read more about it but I'm hung up on something. My problem is that there seems to be no authority on the Batman story. A plethora of comic book authors can all write about the same Batman but what's to guarantee that all of the stories fit together? If I read something a detail in one in graphic novel and then I read something a little bit different, there is no continuity.

Are there any comic book or graphic novel enthusiasts who can quell my concern?

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. There are many authors and artists who do their own interpretation of Batman. Aside from the original run in Detective comics from the 30s and 40s, I'd say there is no one definitive graphic novel. They do this to keep the franchise fresh. Just pick one you like and run with it.

My favorite is The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller.
    Old school or the new, doesn't mean a thing if your heart's not true...

Comment

Originally posted by Devilguns View Post
      You pretty much hit the nail on the head. There are many authors and artists who do their own interpretation of Batman. Aside from the original run in Detective comics from the 30s and 40s, I'd say there is no one definitive graphic novel. They do this to keep the franchise fresh. Just pick one you like and run with it.

My favorite is The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller.
      It's funny you mention his name. I figured if I was going to read one, I'd start there.

There was also one called Batman: The Killing Joke that Christopher Nolan gave Heath Ledger for his Joker role.

Is it safe to say that there is a general Batman story set up in the 30's and 40's from one specific person and every other interpretation is based in the original universe?
      Last edited by Rovey Wade; 7 May 2008, 02:10 AM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,817   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 4
      Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts