Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got any advice?

Oh boy do I need even more advice?

Since I just recently graduated and am heading towards PCC (Portland Community College), I need advice.

I always hear "Don't let people tell you you can't do something". I follow that. You won't believe how many times I hear "You will NEVER hit the big leagues", yet, no one believed I could live with my roommate (money wise), and here I am. No one believed I was going to graduate with the grades I earned, but here I am!

Sure those are much easier tasks, BUT, I plan on achieving my goal.

So time for some advice about college. Most have gone through it, and even if you haven't, if you're playing an M rated game, you are getting close to being in college, and need to think about it.

So, what advice do you have? What's it like?

Originally posted by thedeadlyassassin View Post
    Oh boy do I need even more advice?

Since I just recently graduated and am heading towards PCC (Portland Community College), I need advice.

I always hear "Don't let people tell you you can't do something". I follow that. You won't believe how many times I hear "You will NEVER hit the big leagues", yet, no one believed I could live with my roommate (money wise), and here I am. No one believed I was going to graduate with the grades I earned, but here I am!

Sure those are much easier tasks, BUT, I plan on achieving my goal.

So time for some advice about college. Most have gone through it, and even if you haven't, if you're playing an M rated game, you are getting close to being in college, and need to think about it.

So, what advice do you have? What's it like?
    Quote"So time for some advice about college. Most have gone through it, and even if you haven't, if you're playing an M rated game, you are getting close to being in college, and need to think about it." My brain hurts. I know you need advise but could you at least make some sense? Stop with the psycho mind babble.
    [img]http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i61/2HARDKOR/maj_massacre.jpg[/img]

Comment

I'm nearing my first year in college, and if you're asking for advice to "do well" then there's really one main thing you need: responsibility.

In high school, teachers generally stay on you about homework. They constantly remind you to complete it on time, and may even give you extra time to complete it if you do happen to be late.

In college, most professors will give you your assignments and that's that. If you do them, you turn them in. If you didn't, there's usually not many second chances. You've got to take the time to complete your assignments and study if you know you're in need of it.

Really, that and not going to crazy parties every night. I know, I know...party in college. But you've got to do it at times when you don't have to study, cram, complete a project, etc. In other words, just be responsible when it comes to completing assignments and you'll be fine grade wise.

Besides that, just don't get caught up in the "wrong crowd" who thinks skipping half your classes is cool. It's a-okay to have plenty of fun in college, but passing your classes should come first.

Comment

I'm with Massacre on this one.

1. Stop drinking those energy drinks. I dont buy the "the shakes aren't bad....once you get used to them." philosophy.

2. Stop eating food out of a box- you'd be amazed to know how much sugar is in the boxed or pre-prepped food. Your mind will stop running marathons, and you'll be able to sit down and THINK before you post.

On to the College Question:

1. Going to Junior college is kind of like going to an all you can eat Buffet. There are three types of people there:

#1 I cant afford to do a full 4 years, so I'll do the first to here; I dont know where I want to go; I dont know what major I want to do- so why waste my money until I know?

#2 I am the biggest procrastinator, head case, loser. I just want to pretend to be productive so I can milk an extra few years at Mom's.

#3 I'm taking trade-school classes (firemen, policed, CPA, mechanic, etc.)

Breaking these down- which one are you?

If you are #1, and you have a job, I reccomend that you spend 100% of yoru free time at the Library and AWAY from the computer. Studying is not surfing the web, and in a library, the odds are in your favor that you will put in the work.

If you are #2, then you are going no where, and the best thing that will happen to you is you will meet the right people for you: Easy girls, easy access to drugs, and easy access to a fairly deep pool of losers. Stay out of the library, because none of these people will be in there working to get to the University.

If you are #3, chances are you will have very little time to do much but attend class, eat in between class and work in the car, and then study until you dump head first into the book at Midnight from sheer exhaustion.

The real question in the ADULT world is "How much do I want (Fill in the blank here)"

We cant give you advice, we cant even reccomend on this topic. This one is 100% on you and you will have to learn to respond to your own adversity.

the CAUTION is on you however- because what you do now will translate to what you are going to have to deal with in 6 years. So if you are a loser now, in 6 years you will be dealing with those consequences, and it will be hard to nearly impossible to reach a plateau above that 6 years from now.

~Hammy

Comment

First off, I don't eat food out of the box, I re-read my post and it makes perfect sense. I also don't drink energy drinks.

What I mean is, even if you haven't gone through college yet, you should be thinking about it and be wanting to read other peoples advice.

You guys really had trouble getting that in your brains? I might think you guys need to stop "drinking energy drinks and eating out of a box"

Comment

DA, sometimes its best to use common sense and figure out your problems for yourself, you can't really go wrong as long as you don't do dumb stuff
            [img]http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/120/latinsigsj0.jpg[/img] [img]http://sigs.2142-stats.com/BenKenobi_player_7511.png[/img] [img]http://www.ronpaul2008.com/img/public_banners/hope-banner1.gif[/img] [url=http://www.cainslair.com/paypal2Cain.htm/]
            You will donate to Cain's. Now.[/url]

Comment

I look at it this way..high school was required. I had no choice about it and only some control over the courses I took. College was all about what I wanted to do. I took some time off after high school (a couple of years) before setting out to start a career. Then when I found the school I wanted, I was ready and eager to get with it.

I went to a couple of trade schools. One associated with a community college for aviation mechanics and avionics. And got an associates degree at ITT for CADD. A total of 4 years of school in 10 years. I worked my way into the business between the times at school.

It all depends on how much YOU want to be in school. Nobody's pushing you now except YOU. It's work but there is a big reward in the end. GO FOR IT!
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Piece of advice number one...GO TO CLASS. That was my downfall. College is WAY different than high school and I learned that real fast. Go to class, study hard, and do your homework. There is still plenty of time for fun, but you need to pace yourself.

In other related matters, you can make easy mac in a plastic cup, use a plastic fork, and make no mess. Its awesome. If you ever need any college food advice, I am the person to talk to.

Comment

Originally posted by linemanstud View Post
                  In other related matters, you can make easy mac in a plastic cup, use a plastic fork, and make no mess. Its awesome.
                  Sure, if you consider substances that essentially last forever "clean," then I guess you're right that your plastic mac doesn't make a mess.

-Rand
                  [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4333/35734799273_0013dbe418_z.jpg[/img]

Killing CLRs since 2004. BOOSH!
                  Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

DA I would say go for but go easy on the partying. It's easy to get caught up in that and loose focus on what you may want to do the rest of your life. If you're not sure take basic classes so you could transfer the credits in case you need to change schools.

I lived on Ramen noodles PB sandwiches and Old Milwaukee.

Good luck with it all.
                    [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
                    Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Duke{CLR} View Post
                      I lived on Ramen noodles PB sandwiches and Old Milwaukee.
                      PB sandwiches, crackers, pop-tarts, and cashews here.

Hey, if it ain't got mold in it, it's good! Multi-colored bread = bad. No clear expiration date? Not sure if it's still good? Hint: don't eat it to find out.

Comment

you'll be old before ya know it

its easier to get forgiven than it is to get permission

and if it didn't kill ya you'll know better next time

Good luck it will go faster than you thought

Comment

Originally posted by Tails_Kitsune View Post
                          PB sandwiches, crackers, pop-tarts, and cashews here.
                          Hey! That isn't all we eat!

I agree 100% with Madhatter. Just find something you'd love doing for a career and go for it.

Comment

I am going to be the one to say it. You don't have to go to college.

I myself am an engineer without a degree. I am completely self taught. I found what interested me and then made it work. Luckily the computer business doesn't always require a degree.

Now I'm not saying that a degree would hurt. Mostly what I see is that I would be making 100K instead of 90K and thats about it. Job offers to degreed people are usually higher. However cause I earned slightly less I've been the sole survivor at numerous layoffs so it's a mixed bag.

Personally I think someone should go to college because they want to and not be motivated by a job or pay off.

Just my thought.

Comment

Originally posted by mapes View Post
                              I am going to be the one to say it. You don't have to go to college.

I myself am an engineer without a degree. I am completely self taught. I found what interested me and then made it work. Luckily the computer business doesn't always require a degree.

Now I'm not saying that a degree would hurt. Mostly what I see is that I would be making 100K instead of 90K and thats about it. Job offers to degreed people are usually higher. However cause I earned slightly less I've been the sole survivor at numerous layoffs so it's a mixed bag.

Personally I think someone should go to college because they want to and not be motivated by a job or pay off.

Just my thought.

Agree whole heartedly.
                              [IMG]http://thepebkac.net/images/sigs/Outdoors_sig.jpg[/IMG]
                              Like the community? Donate here:
                              [URL="http://www.cainslair.com/misc.php?do=donate"]http://www.cainslair.com/misc.php?do=donate[/URL]

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,184   Posts: 269,829   Members: 6,182   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, newiron09.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to BF4 new easter egg.. need to know moriss code
                                by newiron09
                                BTW on iOS use "Light Conversation", its an app from an artist...he spreaded it for light arrangements(stories in lights) in a city...propably...
                                15 Sep 2024, 09:24 AM
                              • Reply to Otterbox is 10 years old
                                by newiron09
                                Having tried many cases I've given up on expensive ones. Not convinced they are significantly better than an inexpensive gel case for 1/10 the money....
                                15 Sep 2024, 09:20 AM
                              Working...
                              X