Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have experience with DSLR cameras?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have experience with DSLR cameras?

I'm planning on getting a new camera shortly. My compact one (Nikon) works fine, but I want to have more in my camera so I am looking at the entry level Digital SLRs.

I have an older film Canon Rebel that already has 2 lenses. I'm pretty sure I can reuse the lenses, so I'm looking at Canons again, but all options are open at this point.

I'm looking at the Rebel EOS Xti and the Rebel EOX Xsi mainly.
    I know the Xsi is an updated Xti, but its a few hundred dollars cheaper. Better grip, image stabiliser, etc, I'm just wondering if for an entry level, is it worth the extra $$.

Anyone have any experience, comments?

Price range is around 750.
    [this is where my funky sig would go. But I don't have one.
    So all you get is this crappy text]

I can see if my brother will ask around at work for you if you want. He's warehouse manager at the local Circuit City.
    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/Igorod/troopdod.jpg[/img]
    [url=http://profile.xfire.com/trooper110][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/co/type/1/trooper110.png[/img][/url]

Comment

My father recently got one of the digital Rebels, he has been using it for about 6 months and absolutely loves it. Takes great pictures too. I'll shoot him an email and see which model he has.
      [url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/Thrashdragon][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/violet/Thrashdragon.png[/img][/url]
      [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/spikedz/TD_Latin.png[/img]

Comment

I have never used a digital Rebel. I have the 30D and love it. I used to use a Pentax SF1 Autofocus Film SLR. If you can spring for a little more check out the 40D. I saw it priced out the other day for about $250 more than the Rebel and it came with a 55mm to 200 mm lens. I think Canon is running a $200 rebate right now and that was why the price is so good.
        Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
        Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
        I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
        Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

thanks for the heads up apache!

and thanks everyone else for looking into it

Comment

The Canon Digital Rebel is great as I have one love it. How ever there are two types and ways the Canon lenses

1. Screw on

2. Bayonet mount

Do not know which type of lenses you have on your older film Canon but I believe used the bayonet style mounted lenses up till 2005 and after that I think know all lenses are screw on.

I have a older Canon film camera I got in the late 80's and bought my Canon Digital Rebel in 2004 and my older lens are compatible with the Digital Rebel. So you my want too check your older lense too see if they will work with the new Canon camera you are looking at too buy.

Comment

thanks for the info Todd.

I'll bring my old lenses to the store and simply try them out to ensure that they fit well.

My brother in law actually has my old film camera, and his girlfriend was taking a class and needed a good camera. I'll stop by his place before going to the store.

Comment

Just heard back from my dad, he has the Xti, which he bought on the recommendation of some professional photographers my mom works with (including the main photographer for the Orlando Sentinel newspaper). He loves it.
                [url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/Thrashdragon][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/violet/Thrashdragon.png[/img][/url]
                [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/spikedz/TD_Latin.png[/img]

Comment

Cool... I was looking at the XTI and the newer version, the XSI.
                  Looks like I'll be leaning in that direction.

I know the kit lenses aren't the best, but they have an XSI with an 18-55mm (I think) kit lens and a canon camera bag on sale for $899.99 at a local store.

Comment

I have the 30D and love it. I don't know what features the two Rebels have but, with the 40D you can now shoot using the eyepiece or the back view panel. If you are going to use only one lens pick one that is versatile. The 18 to 55 is only going to be good in just a few situations. A better choice would be a lens that has a larger range. 50 to 200 or 300 is better in that type of situation.
                    Also, there is a good chance that your old lens will still work. If they do you will not be able to use some of the advanced features found on newer lenses. I love the image stabilizer found on my telephoto lenses.
                    Apache

I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
                    Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Thanks for the tips!

The XSI has the Real Time View finger thing, which allows you to use the LCD to see the actual picture image that will be taken. The XTI does not. It also has an imagine stabilizer built in I believe.

The XSI is about $850 for the body while something like the 40D is approx $1250.
                      For the price of a 40D, I can get the XSI with 2 lenses, 18-55 and 55-250.

They do have a deal for the XSI with a 75-300mm lens.

Is there a benefit to getting a 75-300mm lens AND a 15-55mm lens?

Comment

The benefit is you have more flexible shooting options. The reason for having an SLR is to be able to change the lenses as your shooting needs change. The 15 -55 mm is great for wide angle shots, close ups or trying to fit the whole group into the shot. A telephoto is great for bring distance objects closer. For example wildlife shots or sporting events. There is nothing worse (now that you do not have to worry about forgetting your film ) than trying to get that great shot and not having the correct lens.
                        Apache

Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

You also should consider having a tripod if you shoot in low light situations. No matter how steady you think you are, your pictures will be blurred with a slow shutter speed. If you constantly shoot in low light situations you might think about getting a remote shutter switch too. The on camera flash is ok for informal close up night shooting but, if you shoot a lot using a flash you should think about eventually getting a seperate flash. The benefits to an external flash are you can bounce the light, the flash will swivel, it extends the distance your auto focus will reach in low light shooting and some allow you to vary the power of the flash.
                          If you like shooting small items, you could eventually get a macro lens. I use one in my business but, it is also good for extreme close ups of flowers and insects too.
                          Do not forget a good camera bag. Camera equipment is expensive and can be delicate. The camera bag will protect your equipment. When purchasing a bag, get one that is bigger than your present needs. If you use your SLR a lot you will be wanting to add to your collection of hardware. For example I still like to use filters when shooting. A polarizing filter is a must when shooting in bright sunlight and has the added benefit of protecting the lens from damage. I would much rather replace a $20.00 filter than a lens.
                          Do not forget to carry extra batteries with you. Also get the largest memory card you can afford along with a card reader. Trying to download the pictures off your camera can be slow and uses up battery power on your camera.I like to carry two memory cards just in case.
                          I know it sounds like a lot and it is. But, you can purchase things over time. This is one of the benefits of SLRs. They are also more user intensive but, are well worth it.
                          The most important thing is they are fun. I love hiking with my camera. The extra weight is worth it in my opinion.

Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

I have the Canon XTi

I love it. Though, you should buy a better lens. The stock kit lens it ok for hobbyists, but the optical quality is lacking hehe. You would need an upgrade (which I haven't gotten around to yet argh). (or you can buy the camera body only and use your Canon lenses, which may have to be keyed correctly so the electronics of the body and lens will read each other) Battery life is really good, IMHO, but the Li-ions are fairly pricey, last time I checked about 50 bucks for a battery. I highly recommend two of them. The camera does come with a charger though. It is quite compact so you can fit it almost anywhere.
                            Newegg.com - Canon NB-2LH 720mAh Lithium-Ion Rechargeable Battery Pack

I think the Nikon competitor has better optical quality for the basic kit lens. I still prefer Canon though

On the topic of image stabilization - The XSi does not have image stab, nor does my XTi. AFAIK the stabilization is built into certain lenses, like the F2.8L 70-200mm USM IS
                            Newegg.com - Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Telephoto Zoom Lens
                            [IMG]http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r43/ryanbatc/radarsig1-1.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

The price of lenses is detiremined by more than one thing. Optical quality is the most important. Also apeture size. Apeture is Fstop. The larger the number the smaller the opening. The larger the apeture opening the faster the lens is. This means it allows more light in. It is better in low light shooting. A 2.8 lens is more expensive than a 5.4 because it is faster in low light situations. You use a small opening when shooting in bright light to cut down on the amount of light entering the body. The opposite is true in low light situations. Speed is shutter speed. In low light shooting you need a slower shutter speed to allow more light to enter the camera body. With a larger appeture more light is allowed in quickly. This allows you to shooting moving targets with less blurring or still objects without a tripod. The more light entering the body the faster shutter speed.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...categoryid=150
                              This link will show all of Canon's available lenses. You can compare features.
                              Apache

Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,184   Posts: 269,831   Members: 6,182   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, newiron09.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to BF4 new easter egg.. need to know moriss code
                                by newiron09
                                BTW on iOS use "Light Conversation", its an app from an artist...he spreaded it for light arrangements(stories in lights) in a city...propably...
                                15 Sep 2024, 09:24 AM
                              • Reply to Otterbox is 10 years old
                                by newiron09
                                Having tried many cases I've given up on expensive ones. Not convinced they are significantly better than an inexpensive gel case for 1/10 the money....
                                15 Sep 2024, 09:20 AM
                              Working...
                              X