My job should be on the show "Dirty Jobs"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My job should be on the show "Dirty Jobs"

I've seen sewer cleaners, bridge repairs, people walking in bat crap, taking the semen from a goat to another... all that good stuff. But is it really as bad as my job? I don't clean crap everyday, or get the semen from a goat, nor walk in bat crap...

BUT... be prepared to be grossed out from what I'm about to tell you.

I am a bottle return person at the local Fred Meyers grocery store. I've met a lot of nice people, a lot of smelly bums, and a lot of snotty rich ladies that shouldn't be there...

HOWEVER, I have also found a lot more disgusting things than sticky beer and coca cola.

Here is the reason why I say my job should be on that show.

1) I cut myself everyday. Nope, I don't have suicidal problems, it's all accidental. Even with tough gloves, I get a cut, sometimes small, sometimes so severe I need to run to a first aid kit to stop the bleeding. There hasn't been 1 day at my job where I leave without a cut anywhere on my body (mostly on my fingers and hands) I so far have about 7 scars on my hands from about 4-5 months of working there.

2) People think the garbages we have are for everything... and I mean everything. When the bin is full, I have to take the bag out, just like a garbage man, and carry it through the store to the trash compactors. What have I found? A DEAD CAT, a dirty diaper (about 10 times now), a bloody tampon, and dog crap bags (that had the crap in them).

3) People put the weirdest crap in cans, sometimes literally crap. Yep, and I saw today... a used condom... with the "stuff" still in it. I've also found dried blood in one bottle ( I have to break the bottles ). The dry blood shattered like mist with the bottle.

4) I smell really bad and have the sticky bottles and crap on my hands and clothes while working, and people notice it and comment about it. Believe me... I know

5) The people! Yes, I deal with dirty people. I get bums... of course. It's there hang out. I get them CONSTANTLY bugging me to give them free cash ( Print them out a ticket with fake bottle counts so they can go buy more beer). Not to mention they come exposed, have never taken a shower, and come to the bottle return drunk as hell.

Than there are the snotty rich ladies. People that shouldn't be there. They don't want to be there, they only have about 50 cents worth of cans and bottles, and they treat people that have crap jobs (like me) like junk, and don't seem to realize I have to deal with a lot of people everyday and all through my shift. I have no real examples, but I'll just give you some advice to those that may be snotty and rich.... DO NOT GO TO THE BOTTLES IF YOU DON'T WANT TO OR ARE IN A HURRY OR HAVE NO REASON TO.

Than, there are the people that don't read or speak english. I don't want to sound racists here, but it's really really hard to serve people that I can't communicate with. Not to mention, since they can't read english, they don't know how to use the machine, which means that I have to walk all the way down to the bottles from inside the store to outside at the end of the parking lot a million times to fix something that's easily avoidable.

I work inside the store as well, and face the aisles (make it seem like it's full and stocked). If I don't finish facing my aisles, I don't get to go home at 11pm (when the store closes). I leave when I'm finished, which is another reason I hate my job, because people that don't leave when the store closes (and leave earlier) they get to leave EXACTLY when their shift ends. And not to mention, there are 2 people that have to face 15 aisles, there are about 5 people to push about 3 sets of carts, meaning a lot of the time there are other employees with other jobs that can sit around. If I sit around, I'm just procrastinating and have to stay later each second I waste, also they get to leave when their shift ends.

ANYWAYS, I just wanted to share my job. So, do you agree... it SHOULD be on Dirty Jobs?

And to make this a fun topic, I'm curious, tell me about your crappy jobs that you've experienced
    Last edited by {CLR}geneSW; 18 Jul 2008, 04:43 AM. Reason: language...

Oh sorry for using the B word.

Comment

I know exactly what you mean about the bottle machines. I help run the front end of the grocery store I work at so I am also in charge of the cart guys. The cart guys are the ones that maintain the bottle machines, i.e. empty them when they are full and fix any problems. Well when there isnt a cart guy available I have to do it and I hate it. I swear the floor in the room where you empty the machines is always sticky and smells like crap. I hate doing the bottles.

Also for those that dont know in some states, like New York, there is a bottle deposit on pop bottles, like the 20 oz ones of pepsi. In NY its a 5 cent deposit that when you turn it back into the store you get the 5 cents back. Its done to try to get people to return the bottles and cans so they can be recycled.
      [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/Mobojo/Sigs/Sig2.jpg[/img]

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,184   Posts: 269,831   Members: 6,182   Active Members: 5
      Welcome to our newest member, newiron09.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to BF4 new easter egg.. need to know moriss code
        by newiron09
        BTW on iOS use "Light Conversation", its an app from an artist...he spreaded it for light arrangements(stories in lights) in a city...propably...
        15 Sep 2024, 09:24 AM
      • Reply to Otterbox is 10 years old
        by newiron09
        Having tried many cases I've given up on expensive ones. Not convinced they are significantly better than an inexpensive gel case for 1/10 the money....
        15 Sep 2024, 09:20 AM
      Working...
      X