What's you favorite painting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's you favorite painting?

I like art, and I wonder what's your favorite painting. "El nacimiento de Venus" by Sandro Botticelli is mine.
    It's in Florence, I've seen it three times and I never get tired of it.

K3BASFM. "Lead, follow, or get out of the way."
    sigpic

Support Cainslair. Donate here! Cain's Lair Forums

I'm a big fan of Caravaggio.

Like yourself, I never get weary of any of his pieces because what you see is not what you are getting. Initially it is some shocking scene, but in general, after you have studied it for a bit, you realize that encapsulation of the time in that period.

If you start to study these, I reccomend picking up an english translation of Italian History for this period.
    Then go back and study some of these paintings again. It will blow your head off in discovery.

To see some of his work, go here:
    http://www.wga.hu/frames-e.html?/htm...agg/index.html

Comment

My wife and I like Hubert Robert. We have an oil copy of the Obelisk (below)
      The High Museum, in Atlanta, had a showing of his paintings from The Hermitage, St Petersburg. They were exquisite and since I will probably never get to St Petersburg, I was ecstatic. It was the first time they had ever been loaned out by The Hermitage. I wish I could get copies of some of those.
      Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
      Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
      I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
      Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
        I'm a big fan of Caravaggio.

Like yourself, I never get weary of any of his pieces because what you see is not what you are getting. Initially it is some shocking scene, but in general, after you have studied it for a bit, you realize that encapsulation of the time in that period.

If you start to study these, I reccomend picking up an english translation of Italian History for this period.
        Then go back and study some of these paintings again. It will blow your head off in discovery.

To see some of his work, go here:
        http://www.wga.hu/frames-e.html?/htm...agg/index.html
        Oh I studied Art History for a long time and I have loads of books about it. I know Caravaggio very well and I've seen some of his paintings in Florence and Rome. There are so many artists to consider, he is definitely one of them. But still my favorite style is the Italian Renaissance. Like you say, if you study each painting you discover so many things. I like a lot the iconography you find in them.

Apache, I don't think I have seen that one before, I don't recall at least, but it's amazing how he captures perspective.
        sigpic

Comment

It's odd but I like Gustave Caillebotte's Les raboteurs de parquet

It just reminds me of helping friends do tile work and drinking and talking as we worked.

here it is

Comment

I can't believe nobody has posted this yet:

Or how about...Elvis on black velvet:

True American art.

-Rand
            [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4333/35734799273_0013dbe418_z.jpg[/img]

Killing CLRs since 2004. BOOSH!
            Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

I always liked "Cafe Terrace at Night" by Van Gogh. I got to see it from about 2 feet away at the Seattle art museum. Maxfield Parrish is my fave though.

Comment

I like landscapes, particularly American from the 19th Century and European from the late Renassiance period. I don't have a particular favorite.

I hope nobody says "Starry Night" or "The Kiss." I can't stand those--they were mounted in the room of a girl I dug in college, and things went wrong. Suckage by association.

-Rand
                [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4333/35734799273_0013dbe418_z.jpg[/img]

Killing CLRs since 2004. BOOSH!
                Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

I have always been attracted to the Flemish and some Dutch painters like Rubens, Jordaens, Hals, Van Eyck and Vermeer and Rembrandt. Their paintings are some of the best representations of everyday life and people during that period. The vibrancy of the the colors they use are just awesome in my opinion.

Van Eyck

Comment

Some nice choices. Like a lot of things I am a traditionalist so not much modern art interests me apart from the likes of L. S. Lowry an artist from the North of England whose characters were described as match stick men. He seemed to capture the times in a child like image. He only died in 1976 and I can remember him as an old man on the TV.
                    Jaspurr

[img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56/vitopagano/jaspurr.jpg[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by BlackArrow View Post
                      I have always been attracted to the Flemish and some Dutch painters like Rubens, Jordaens, Hals, Van Eyck and Vermeer and Rembrandt. Their paintings are some of the best representations of everyday life and people during that period. The vibrancy of the the colors they use are just awesome in my opinion.

Van Eyck

You should watch "The girl with the pearl ear ring" and read the Gregory McGuire book "Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister. Both are on topic for you.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnyRico View Post
                        You should watch "The girl with the pearl ear ring" and read the Gregory McGuire book "Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister. Both are on topic for you.
                        You are totally right, been there, done that!!!

Comment

This one is interesting, charged with a lot of symbolism.
                          sigpic

Comment

The dog creeps me out. The face is too human.

Comment

Hmmm to many favorite paintings to list but my favorite artist of all time is Polish artist Beksinski. His paintings and subjects are surreal and disturbing but I find such inner peace looking at his work. His paintings depict an alternate reality I imagine myself in. One of my artist friends from Poland was lucky enough to take instruction by him.

Old school or the new, doesn't mean a thing if your heart's not true...

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,184   Posts: 269,831   Members: 6,182   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, newiron09.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to BF4 new easter egg.. need to know moriss code
                                by newiron09
                                BTW on iOS use "Light Conversation", its an app from an artist...he spreaded it for light arrangements(stories in lights) in a city...propably...
                                15 Sep 2024, 09:24 AM
                              • Reply to Otterbox is 10 years old
                                by newiron09
                                Having tried many cases I've given up on expensive ones. Not convinced they are significantly better than an inexpensive gel case for 1/10 the money....
                                15 Sep 2024, 09:20 AM
                              Working...
                              X