Titletown USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Titletown USA

I live in Valdosta Georgia and they are in the running for Titletown USA. Here are some reasons why such a small town is currently in third place in the voting.

The movie "Remember the Titans" will always rank among the all-time great football movies. In this movie, T.C. Williams High School fights two battles: race and football. At the end of this movie, we learn that T.C. Williams High School not only wins the state but becomes the second-best team in the country that year.

Second best? That means they got beat in the last game. What team beat them to become the best high school football team in the country that year?

Answer: Valdosta Wildcats in Valdosta, Ga.

Valdosta, Ga., isn't the largest town around. It certainly isn't the most well known, but it has all the makings of a TitleTown.
    Valdosta, Ga., is TitleTown and the home of the Valdosta High Wildcats, who have won more high school games then anyone in the country with 838 wins and 191 losses. Winner of 23 state titles and six national titles.

High school football is king in Georgia because nobody cares about the Atlanta Falcons.

Every year Valdosta High plays crosstown rival Lowndes High in the Winnersville Classic. Lowndes has won three of the last four state titles and has five state titles. I doubt you will find another town with 28 state titles.

We are also home to the defending D-II football national college champions and winners of two of the last four.

To show how big high school football is, our college team plays at Valdosta High School's stadium. When the two High school teams play, we have a crowd of about 10,000.

This is Winnersville, and as far as high school football goes, this is TitleTown.
    Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
    Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
    I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
    Frank Lloyd Wright

good luck

Which is first?

Comment

I saw this on SportsCenter a few days ago..

I didn't realize that it was so successful in football!

EDIT: If anyone is interested, here is the whole list of cities.
      ESPN - TitleTown USA
      "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a Communist."
      - Dom Helder Camara

Comment

Pretty good for a town who's 2000 census was 43,724.
        Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
        Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
        I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
        Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,183   Posts: 269,819   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 5
        Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts