Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else not watching the summer Olympics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Total and utter BS, they get the same score and the chinese is first? I do not understand. Where did fairness go? if I didn't better, I would say that they fixed it.

NBCOlympics.com - Tough math leaves Liukin silver

Comment

Originally posted by K PhaNTOM View Post
      Total and utter BS, they get the same score and the chinese is first? I do not understand. Where did fairness go? if I didn't better, I would say that they fixed it.

NBCOlympics.com - Tough math leaves Liukin silver
      I was just watching this (as a rerun) as you posted this. The judging of these Olympics has been a total disaster. From taking forever to come up with numbers and having a large delay, to this almost random tie breaker. It is like they pulled it out of a hat or something. I am no gymnastics expert, but according to people who are, it shouldn't have even come this far. They both had the same start value, so all you have to look at is execution. The Chinese girl had way more errors, so I just don't understand how she still managed to tie.

Another thing: judges can't judge in rounds that their countries are in. So most commonly, the countries with the most experienced judges can't judge in the final rounds because some athletes from that country are in it.

Someone needs to desperately fix this system. It was first put in place in 2006, so this is the first Olympics it has been used in, and hopefully the last.

I know that there will always be some bias, but it seems with this system, there is almost no opinion needed as everything is preassigned values. This is something I am very passionate about (as you can probably see). I have been cheated many times out of various sports rewards, and I would just like there to be justice at a world wide event.

</rant>
      "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a Communist."
      - Dom Helder Camara

Comment

You should have been around for the Olympics during the Cold War, if you wanted to see bias.
        Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
        Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
        I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
        Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

This one is almost unreal, and I only found out about it by reading up on the sport itself on NBCOlympics.com since it's not a big-time event here.

We've got one of the best male shooters in the world with Matt Emmons. Dude had the gold locked up in Athens in 50m air rifle until he shot the wrong target (!) and ended up with 0 points for the last round. Got the silver, and he picked up another silver earlier last week.

However...

50m 3-position, last shot. He's sitting in prime gold position. All he has to do is get a 7 or better, which a world class shooter can do in his sleep. Well, normally. He ended up firing before he got set up, and ended up with a 4.4 and 4th place.

He has got to be one of the biggest chokers in Olympic history. He almost literally had two gold medals in his pocket and blew them both with the stupidest mistakes that someone who just picked up a rifle yesterday wouldn't make. I think the funniest thing was, he's married to a Czech shooter, Katrina, who got a gold and a bronze this week. Her reaction to him missing was absolutely priceless--just shear, literal open-jawed shock. Their story is nice: she came up to him in a bar in Athens after he blew that gold and they hit it off. I think she realized yesterday she married a loser.

I wish the USOC went back to the smaller sports from time to time. There are some good stories mixed in here.

-Rand
          [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4333/35734799273_0013dbe418_z.jpg[/img]

Killing CLRs since 2004. BOOSH!
          Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Best reaction to the gymnastics tie:

Steve Penny, the president of USA Gymnastics, said the Americans would not file a protest. "We agree with it," he said. "It's done. We're moving on."
            I don’t think it’s a totally random decision they made. It was based on math. I’m sure if every variable was the same, then they would both be awarded the same medal. In this case, not all variables were the same. Yes, the end score was, but not the numbers leading to that score.

I believe the IOC has a job to establish who the best athlete was and try and break any tie breakers, but remain fair. Fairness is often done through math, as formulas and mathematical logic is unbiased.

In this case, they simply drop one score, bring it from 4 judges to 3. Then they recount based on these 3 scores.

Again, had they both had the SAME score, I’m sure they would of awarded 2 golds. But they did not have the same scores.

Is this decision BS? I don’t think so. Does it suck for the silver medal competitor? Totally. Should the scoring system be redone? I have no clue.

The math for He: 9.1, 9.1, 9.0. That equals 27.2. Divide that by three, and that equals 9.066, the sixes stretching out to infinity.
            For Liukin: 9.1, 9.0, 9.0. That equals 27.1. Divide that by three and it's 9.0333, the threes going out forever.

He has got to be one of the biggest chokers in Olympic history. He almost literally had two gold medals in his pocket and blew them both with the stupidest mistakes that someone who just picked up a rifle yesterday wouldn't make. I think the funniest thing was, he's married to a Czech shooter, Katrina, who got a gold and a bronze this week. Her reaction to him missing was absolutely priceless--just shear, literal open-jawed shock. Their story is nice: she came up to him in a bar in Athens after he blew that gold and they hit it off. I think she realized yesterday she married a loser.
            I’m sure the pressure got the athletes is huge. And being so good and having already choked 4 years ago, adds a lot to the pressure. We had a similar situation with a female figure skate who had won world championships, but each Olympics, she fell doing some random jump and didn’t get a medal. Happy 2-3 Olympics I think. So go the games…. Some are good under pressure, some have issues focusing.
            [this is where my funky sig would go. But I don't have one.
            So all you get is this crappy text]

Comment

Damn math, I never liked that guy

And if u saw the whole thing, u can obviously see that the Chinese made a whole lot more errors than Nastia, fixed it tell ya, FIXED!

Comment

Yay Shawn Johnson won Gold, finally

NBCOlympics.com - Shawn Johnson finally golden

Now I just don't give a damn about the other competition lol.

Comment

Rand check the stats on that one. The 3rd place Korean was disqualified for doping. The Matt Emmons won the Bronze.
                  Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
                  Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
                  I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
                  Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Doping in a shooting event?

Comment

Originally posted by BigTwinky View Post
                      Doping in a shooting event?
                      I wonder if PunkBuster would catch any aimbots

Comment

ROFL

Maybe he was wall hacking. hahahaha

Comment

Originally posted by Apache Warrior View Post
                          Rand check the stats on that one. The 3rd place Korean was disqualified for doping. The Matt Emmons won the Bronze.
                          Apache
                          That's something at least. It wasn't in the article on the site and I didn't see Emmons with the bronze this morning in our medal list (he certainly wasn't on it before today), so it may not have "caught up" yet.

Was that the North Korean? I know I heard a few days ago that a North Korean got popped for doping and am wondering if it was the same one.

-Rand

Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Did you guys see the whot he cover is for the Sports Illustrated?

PHOTO: Michael Phelps's Sports Illustrated Cover Revealed! - Olympics Summer 2008, Mark Spitz Cover, Mark Spitz, Michael Phelps : People.com
                            [url="http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/19030358"]Dracontius - North America - Summoners - League of Legends Statistics - lolking.net[/url] - My LoL stats etc

[URL="http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/?ref=4b6dbfab44e82"]http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/?ref=4b6dbfab44e82[/URL] - Use link if you want to play League of Legends.

Comment

Spitz' medals look like they came from the local pawn shop.

-Rand

Comment

Originally posted by Apache Warrior View Post
                                Apache
                                I don't see this anywhere Apache. There is a mention of an NK who was disqualified, and he lost two medals. A bronze went to another American, but not Emmons. The events were air pistol, and Emmons is a rifle guy.

The drug, for the curious, was listed as an anti-shaking drug that he used to stablize his aim.

-Rand

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,184   Posts: 269,831   Members: 6,182   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, newiron09.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to BF4 new easter egg.. need to know moriss code
                                  by newiron09
                                  BTW on iOS use "Light Conversation", its an app from an artist...he spreaded it for light arrangements(stories in lights) in a city...propably...
                                  15 Sep 2024, 09:24 AM
                                • Reply to Otterbox is 10 years old
                                  by newiron09
                                  Having tried many cases I've given up on expensive ones. Not convinced they are significantly better than an inexpensive gel case for 1/10 the money....
                                  15 Sep 2024, 09:20 AM
                                Working...
                                X