Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long can you hold your breath underwater?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never tried this, and don't plan to. I like to breathe, and not being able to breathe scares me. Which is ironic, because I love to swim, and also ironic because I fear water creatures like sharks and eels.

Comment

in can hold my breath 4 66 sec's i think my dad can hold his 4 2 to 3 mins
      [url=http://www.2142-stats.com/Pidgeot_Girl+stats.html][img]http://sigs.2142-stats.com/Pidgeot_Girl_player_20493.png[/img][/url]

Comment

I held my breath for 84 seconds many years ago. I'm happy with that.
        [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
        Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Jenan View Post
          My max was about 2m5s when I tried at the end of one of my PADI certs.

And mapes is correct, hyperventilating to increase the amount of time you can hold your breath underwater is very dangerous. You get rid of so much carbon dioxide from your bloodstream, you actually run out of available oxygen in your lungs long before you feel the need to breathe. This will lead to blackouts and blackouts underwater = bad.

Hey another diver sweet! I'm Naui and TDI for Nitrox. I'm thinking of going the DIR route since I got the gear.....

Comment

Originally posted by mapes View Post
            One thing I should mention is never do this in the water. It can lead to whats called shallow water blackout...Meaning you pass out under water. BAD
            I don't think I passed out underwater, but I know that I got so high off of oxygen deprivation that I thought for some odd reason I could breathe water like Aquaman or something. That drastically cuts down your time underwater, I assure you.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonator View Post
              I don't think I passed out underwater, but I know that I got so high off of oxygen deprivation that I thought for some odd reason I could breathe water like Aquaman or something. That drastically cuts down your time underwater, I assure you.
              Don't know about that but, you can also get whats called nitrogen narcosis. Not much is known about this. Basically as you go deeper and breath compressed air your body absorbs more nitrogen. It can have some type of mental effect upon you. At what depth and to what degree depends on the person. I've been to 130 feet salt water and not yet experienced it. However my wife gets panicky at about 95 feet. Some folks have reported feeling buzzed. The odd thing is you ascend and you instantly feel better....Could be 5 feet and you go from being buzzed to being sober...(freaked out but, sober).

Comment

Originally posted by Detonator View Post
                I've experienced this as well.
                K3BASFM. "Lead, follow, or get out of the way."
                sigpic

Support Cainslair. Donate here! Cain's Lair Forums

Comment

Over a minute I'm sure, above water it's just under 2 minutes and I have asthma.
                  The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination. - Garek (Deep Space 9)

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,183   Posts: 269,820   Members: 6,179   Active Members: 6
                  Welcome to our newest member, Christophe.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

Working...
                  X