Olympic Sabre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Olympic Sabre

BEIJING -- As she dropped her mask with a flourish and raised both arms in victory, fencer Mariel Zagunis relished the first gold medal for the United States of these 2008 Summer Olympics, defeating fellow American Sada Jacobson, 15-8, in women's individual sabre.

The Americans made it a clean sweep Saturday as pre-Olympics favorite Becca Ward won the bronze, defeating Russia's Sofiya Velikaya, 15-14.

Zagunis also won gold in Athens.

It's the first time a nation has swept an individual fencing event since the 1988 Seoul Olympics, when Germany won in women's foil.

"We couldn't have asked for a better result today, three American flags being raised," said the 23-year-old Zagunis.

Former President George H.W. Bush attended the medal ceremony and greeted the medalists afterward.

Jacobson was the top-seeded fencer and ranked No. 1 in the world.

She improved on her bronze-medal showing in Athens.

"She just out-fenced me today. She earned it," said Jacobson, 25. "When we're on the strip, it's all business, and then we get off and we're teammates again."

The Americans will next compete in the women's team sabre event Thursday.

In the first semifinal, Jacobson came back from 6-2 to beat Velikaya, 15-11. Zagunis defeated Ward, also 15-11, in the second semifinal.

Ward, the 18-year-old fencing phenom from Oregon, was a favorite entering the Games. In her bronze-medal bout, she rallied from 6-1 to force a 14-14 tie. As the referee reviewed match point on video, tension filled the fencing hall.

"Then I saw the USA section that was by the video screen jump up and start cheering," Ward said. "I was very, very happy."
    I could not believe that the US swept Women's Sabre in the Olymoics.

Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
    Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
    I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
    Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

They did well. Ms. Ward left her semi match against Zagunis crying, and almost lost the bronze medal match (started out 1-6) but then got back on her game.

We were watching prelim sabre live online during the opening ceremony. Then I watched some prelim epee last night. Amazing how different the flow is. Sabre is like "jab jabPOINT!" Epee is more strategic because of how much of the blade can be used for points, so there was a lot more feinting going on. Better to watch, because you can actually see a bit more of what just happened.

-Rand
      [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4333/35734799273_0013dbe418_z.jpg[/img]

Killing CLRs since 2004. BOOSH!
      Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,184   Posts: 269,831   Members: 6,182   Active Members: 5
      Welcome to our newest member, newiron09.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to BF4 new easter egg.. need to know moriss code
        by newiron09
        BTW on iOS use "Light Conversation", its an app from an artist...he spreaded it for light arrangements(stories in lights) in a city...propably...
        15 Sep 2024, 09:24 AM
      • Reply to Otterbox is 10 years old
        by newiron09
        Having tried many cases I've given up on expensive ones. Not convinced they are significantly better than an inexpensive gel case for 1/10 the money....
        15 Sep 2024, 09:20 AM
      Working...
      X