Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AVG Just because it's free.....

.....doesn't mean it's all that good.

Meaning, does the old addage, "You get what you pay for" and if you get a "Free" version of an Anti-Virus program or Anti-Spyware program....does it apply there as well?

Would you be better off paying the 50 bucks for a good Anti Spyware/Virus program?

Just because its free, doesn't mean it's good, right?

Aka "You get what you pay for....nothing. lol"?

ANyone?

Thats what I use now. I used Zone Alarm since it came out but got tired of having to customize it so much. But I guess thats what its for. I'll prolly go back to Zone Alarm on all my machines when I get home. But I've heard a lot of good things about AVG. Got Spy Bot and AntiMalware bytes on this machine to go along with it. Spy Bot lets you know if any registry items are being messed with so thats why I like it. Thats about it.
    [COLOR="#008080"][/COLOR][SIZE="5"][COLOR="LightBlue"][B]Not everything that counts on the battlefield is countable.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Regarding free AV, I'd go with Microsoft Security Essentials. From what I've read, it works well, and it's a very light load on your PC. Microsoft is maintaining it very well. The main shortcoming is that it is slower than most when doing a complete scan of your PC. For better or worse, Microsoft Security Essentials has a very simple user interface (few extra features to tweak).

Currently I'm using ESET NOD32, but it's not free. And, it's not the best anymore. The best might be G Data AntiVirus.

The award for best antivirus software tends to shift around depending on product updates and which suite of tests are run. As long as you have something from the top few products. Right now, AVG isn't getting any respect. Best Free Antivirus Software

Comment

From what I hear Kesperskay (One day I'll learn how to spell it) and NOD32 are the best. AVG is in the lower tier of Anti Viruses. Paying for it doesn't reveal extra "powers." It's the same virus detection, just not as easy to remove viruses.

As always, I haven't had an anti virus in 6 years. Just learn how evade scams and install No-Script.

Comment

Originally posted by K PhaNTOM View Post
          From what I hear Kesperskay (One day I'll learn how to spell it) and NOD32 are the best. AVG is in the lower tier of Anti Viruses. Paying for it doesn't reveal extra "powers." It's the same virus detection, just not as easy to remove viruses.

As always, I haven't had an anti virus in 6 years. Just learn how evade scams and install No-Script.
          You have NO AV what's soever? Hey, your funeral...I hear viruses can just "Jump" on computers some how if you're not protected.

I heard that on a BRAND new install of an OS, and then connecting to the web without ANY kind of protection, you can infest a computer within hours or mins even.

But when I was told this, this was a while ago...I could be wrong.

Comment

I have been using AVG for years in conjunction with other programs. I now use MSE and Malwarebytes along with AVG on all 7 of my machines and I have had good luck with it.
            [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
            Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Evil_T0NY {CLR} View Post

Honestly, you just sounded like a 12 year old who just got online for the first time. Viruses don't just 'SHOW UP' outta nowhere. The one time I got a virus was when I first installed LimeWire 6 years ago and downloaded a movie that was 15KBs large. You fall for things like that, but you learn from it. However, the reply you just posted proves that you are in dire need of an anti virus lol

And the kind that you spend money on, big money, big big money for that kind of protection if you think "Reformatting and connecting to the internet within seconds gets you liek viruses n stuff"

(I mean no major disrespect btw, just my opinion)

Comment

Honestly, you just sounded like a 12 year old who just got online for the first time. Viruses don't just 'SHOW UP' outta nowhere. The one time I got a virus was when I first installed LimeWire 6 years ago and downloaded a movie that was 15KBs large. You fall for things like that, but you learn from it. However, the reply you just posted proves that you are in dire need of an anti virus lol

And the kind that you spend money on, big money, big big money for that kind of protection if you think "Reformatting and connecting to the internet within seconds gets you liek viruses n stuff"

(I mean no major disrespect btw, just my opinion)
                Hey,I can take a "Cain's Lair Ribbin" like the best of 'em.

So I take it there has to be "cause" to get a virus. I do have a Norton on my system, always have though.

And Malware Anti Malwarbytes...and SUper Anti Spyware installed on my system.

So 3 layers of protection...and I scan with all of them daily.

Comment

AVG is ok as far as free ones go. Not sure what the best free one is. I have heard good things about Avira.

As far as pay ones, Kaspersky used to be good, but they have fallen off a bit. I am using Norton right now, and it is working out pretty well.
                  [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials w/Malwarebytes and haven't had a problem yet!

It's all free, and works well!

EDIT: I'll just go ahead and include this link because it gives a lot of good information: Guide To Preventing Viruses and Spyware
                    "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a Communist."
                    - Dom Helder Camara

Comment

I'm using nothing.... and it works great

Comment

I use Avast! and have been for a couple years. No complaints really.
                        Delivering bacon goodness one round at a time.

Comment

Used AVG and Avira for awhile. Never had any viruses, then again i'm careful about what I download.
                          [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/echosofbliss/seiko8wy.gif[/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by Evil_T0NY {CLR} View Post
                            You have NO AV what's soever? Hey, your funeral...I hear viruses can just "Jump" on computers some how if you're not protected.

I heard that on a BRAND new install of an OS, and then connecting to the web without ANY kind of protection, you can infest a computer within hours or mins even.

What he's talking about Phan, is that if you're not behind some kind of firewall, port scanners can hit your machine and if some port is open can get inside. If you ever see a C: in Internet Explorer drop down list you've been compromised sure nuff. Had that one time skeered hell outta me. They can get a keylogger or something like that in your machine at that point.

Oh and by the way, Keyloggers are the scariest thing out in the wild. I can deal with something messing up my machine. But they dont mess anything up. Thats why I like Zone Alarm because it shows you what's been going on in and out of your machine in the logs and whether they were allowed or not.And the destination IP.

Like I said,I'll prolly go back to that once I build my new machine.
                            [COLOR="#008080"][/COLOR][SIZE="5"][COLOR="LightBlue"][B]Not everything that counts on the battlefield is countable.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Just because something costs money doesn't mean it's better either.

I'm using free apps for years and never had issues.
                              In most cases it's an user error when you infect your PC.
                              Please like Pocket Radio Player on Facebook to support this little Freeware app.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,184   Posts: 269,829   Members: 6,182   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, newiron09.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to BF4 new easter egg.. need to know moriss code
                                by newiron09
                                BTW on iOS use "Light Conversation", its an app from an artist...he spreaded it for light arrangements(stories in lights) in a city...propably...
                                15 Sep 2024, 09:24 AM
                              • Reply to Otterbox is 10 years old
                                by newiron09
                                Having tried many cases I've given up on expensive ones. Not convinced they are significantly better than an inexpensive gel case for 1/10 the money....
                                15 Sep 2024, 09:20 AM
                              Working...
                              X