Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to play with Services with no Fear

Guys

After reading linemanstud's problem where he buggered up his services I thought I would throw in my 2 cents. If you want to change your services, there is a very simple way to do it changing anything you like weather you know if it will do damages or not. What you do is create different Hardware Profiles.

1). In Control Panel, go into System Properties

2). Tab Hardware and select Hardware Profiles

3). Now you will see a screen like this. This is your base default Profile called Profile 1 (Default).

4). Now make some copies of this basic Profile.

I have made 2 copies here and renamed them. Now, when you boot your computer, you will be presented with a menu. You can now select the Profile you wish to use. So, for example boot your rig and select the Modified Services Test. When your Rig is up go into your services and play with what you please. Now when you reboot, select this same Profile. If your machine is borked, simply reboot and select your Profile 1 which is your original clean untouched profile. Your machine will come up and you can delete the pooched profile never to use it again. Now, just make another copy and try again. Under XP, I have always used a "Gaming" Profile where I have shut of many, many un-needed Services. If I need to use some of those Services, I just reboot selecting the other Profile. However in my case since I have 10 PC's here at home, my main Gaming Rig is used only for Games...

That's it for Tim's Tech Tips...
    [TT]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/dCXnCM7.gif[/IMG]

great post!

Comment

Ace Tip!

I like to dive willy nilly into the breach, but that's just me

Comment

I have shut of many, many un-needed Services.......

For gaming,which services can be shut down....and thanks for your great post.

Comment

For gaming, you want to shut down everything that is not related to your video and sound drivers. (I don't even run a virus scanner most of the time until I got "One Care". Chances are if you end task on something that says your computer will be shut down in X seconds.... you can't shut that one down. Just remember, if you don't know what the service is Click HERE

Also another cool site that you can use to find out more about what is running on your system, here is a great one: http://www.fileresearchcenter.com/ On the top right of the page is a box that says "HELP". Clicking the option will give you detailed information about everything that is running on your machine.

I also use a program called "Process Explorer" that I use to replace my Task Manager on a windows XP machine. It allows you to right click the running task in question and simply click "Google" and it will automatically search for it....Among other huge advantages over Task Manager. If you want to give it a try, download it HERE.

Comment

Check Out Black Vipers site for a very comprehensive list of services...

http://www.blackviper.com/

He has lists of Services you can shut off depending on what you are using your Rig for and depending on which OS you have running with different service packs.

Black Viper Rocks...
            [TT]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/dCXnCM7.gif[/IMG]

Comment

Excellent tip. i never thought of using profiles that way. lol. i always chalked them up to laptop AC powered vs battery powered, and never thought of using them in this particular fashion.

Kudos

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,184   Posts: 269,831   Members: 6,182   Active Members: 5
              Welcome to our newest member, newiron09.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to BF4 new easter egg.. need to know moriss code
                by newiron09
                BTW on iOS use "Light Conversation", its an app from an artist...he spreaded it for light arrangements(stories in lights) in a city...propably...
                15 Sep 2024, 09:24 AM
              • Reply to Otterbox is 10 years old
                by newiron09
                Having tried many cases I've given up on expensive ones. Not convinced they are significantly better than an inexpensive gel case for 1/10 the money....
                15 Sep 2024, 09:20 AM
              Working...
              X