Routers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Routers

im planning on buying a router cause my sis keep bugging me every night so she can get online, so please help me, ok so i dont know any good routers or know anything about them except that u can connect from two pc at the same time. so here im asking the expert on what you think is a good router on a good price. also are there any downsides on using them? oo also i looking for a good mouse too. currently im using a random 10$ mouse i bought at a store.
    Hit 'em like comic books, kaboom! pow pow!

Linksys WRT54G

Comment

I've had issues with that Linksys router....probably just got very unlucky but I tend to stay away from them now. I'd probably go with a Netgear personally. If you're looking at the Daft N routers, you might want to do some research and take a look at where you're using it. MaximumPC had a really good review on them a couple months back as well.
      [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/Igorod/troopdod.jpg[/img]
      [url=http://profile.xfire.com/trooper110][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/co/type/1/trooper110.png[/img][/url]

Comment

Don't even get me started about all the problems I have had with Netgear, with friends, family and business associates. All of them switched to Linksys, and problems solved.

Comment

I prefer Netgear or belkin. Dlink and linksys seem to me to be a little bit cheap. I've had problems with them in the past. However that could have changed. I mean at this point none of this stuff is rocket science

Comment

My first router was linksys - very good IMO
            now I`m using Netgar with modified unofficial software bcs my ISP is using Annex M and only netgar can handle it without problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Cain View Post
              Linksys WRT54G
              +1

Or the LINKSYS WRT54GL, the Linux version, which probably has the most aftermarket support of any router out there.

I recently got one of these:
              http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833124261

I've been totally happy with it. Replaced a crappy non-wireless Belkin that kept dropping internet connectivity every few hours Now I get full signal two rooms away, through 4 walls, a bathroom and a furnace

Comment

So Carbon that router you got is supposed to throw the signal further ??

Comment

So Carbon that router you got is supposed to throw the signal further ??
                  Well, it does seem to have a clear, powerful signal. I'm getting 4-5 bars anywhere in the house, even behind multiple walls/obstructions. Note it doesn't have removable antennas like the WRT54s, but with its strong signal, I doubt I'd bother changing them. Has a ton of customization options, and while not as open and moddable as the WRT54L, looks like it could fit into almost any network configuration.

I also got it on sale for the same price as the WRT54G, so I ain't complainin'

Comment

This is what I use

at 2500 bucks I doubt most people would want it....but hey Iused work on em

It's a Nokia IP VPN 50i

Comment

Everyones experiences with the different brands tends to be related to how they use the routers.

I've had issues with Dlink and linksys, but netgear have always been no hastle, or had an issue i could not solve.

Just have to think how it will be used, and look at what you can do with it, and compare that.
                      The router I use is UK specific so I can't really suggest any.

I'm not insane. I'm just overwhelming!

·····••••• Support Cainslair. Donate here!•••••·····
                      ·····••••• and get extra options! •••••·····

Comment

Linksys WRT54G

Don't even get me started about all the problems I have had with Netgear, with friends, family and business associates. All of them switched to Linksys, and problems solved.
                        +2

The only problems I have had with this has been 100% hardware fault where the flash memory is failing to retain the settings. A quick exchange at the store solved this 4 times so far.

I have also done my rounds at families and friends, and doing a quick count in my head while I write this, I'm going to say that we have 9 installs with zero config errors, and no retraction of settings (when it mysteriously goes to default settings or the IP configs go whacky).

An interesting sidebar is that I had my network compromised by someone in my neighborhood twice when I was using a netgear unit, despite having locked down the connects with MAC address validations and etc.

I havent had a single problem with Linksys.

Comment

Originally posted by AngryHamster View Post
                          An interesting sidebar is that I had my network compromised by someone in my neighborhood twice when I was using a netgear unit, despite having locked down the connects with MAC address validations and etc.

I havent had a single problem with Linksys.
                          Seriously???

Heck, no one in my area even locks down their wireless (except for me of course), let alone trying sophisticated brand-specific exploits.

Comment

MAC address is easy to snoop/spoof. Actually it's the easiest form of security to break.

I think in the end, just pick a router that has the features you'd like and then cross your fingers as we all seem to have issues with different brands :P
                            [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/Igorod/troopdod.jpg[/img]
                            [url=http://profile.xfire.com/trooper110][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/co/type/1/trooper110.png[/img][/url]

Comment

And I dont have any sophistication on wireless- I just want it to work. But when the downloads sagged and I had severe packet loss- I investigated and found that someone in my building was stealing.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,184   Posts: 269,831   Members: 6,182   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, newiron09.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to BF4 new easter egg.. need to know moriss code
                                by newiron09
                                BTW on iOS use "Light Conversation", its an app from an artist...he spreaded it for light arrangements(stories in lights) in a city...propably...
                                15 Sep 2024, 09:24 AM
                              • Reply to Otterbox is 10 years old
                                by newiron09
                                Having tried many cases I've given up on expensive ones. Not convinced they are significantly better than an inexpensive gel case for 1/10 the money....
                                15 Sep 2024, 09:20 AM
                              Working...
                              X