Ping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ping

i have a ping question.upgradeing internet should lower your ping on a server,like cod4,right?i just upgraded my internet to twice the speed it was and no difference on the cod4 server.ping numbers stay the same.

Originally posted by jeffro74 View Post
    i have a ping question.upgradeing internet should lower your ping on a server,like cod4,right?i just upgraded my internet to twice the speed it was and no difference on the cod4 server.ping numbers stay the same.
    Ping is result of a number of factors, only one of which is the speed of your ISP.

http://www.numion.com/FAQ/Ping.html

Also note that no matter how "fast" your connection is, your ping will never go below a certain level based on your geographic location relative to your target. The speed of light in copper and the speed at which your data can traverse the network can only go so fast.

Basically while changing or improving the speed of your ISP can help, the only real fix is to move....generally closer

Comment

i am going to move in next to cain

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonFire View Post
        Ping is result of a number of factors, only one of which is the speed of your ISP.

http://www.numion.com/FAQ/Ping.html

Also note that no matter how "fast" your connection is, your ping will never go below a certain level based on your geographic location relative to your target. The speed of light in copper and the speed at which your data can traverse the network can only go so fast.

Basically while changing or improving the speed of your ISP can help, the only real fix is to move....generally closer
        I dont think you meant that Carbo--

In copper there is no light waves...only electrical pulses
        In Optical Cables, there is glass sheathed tubing that creates an array spectrum and transmits light......

The best example I have EVER heard is like this:

Your network connection is to your Central ISP co-location point.
        From there it is a bus ride to your destination, with several stops along the way.

Those bus stops can be very fast, or very slow, depending on how organized the bus station is, how efficient that hub is, and the type of infrastructure it is using to direct traffic.

Along the way, the roads are more or less average to very good, but the condition of those routes will also determine the quality of the connection.

Having a faster connection to your ISP will help you upload and download much faster, but the limits are still there because you are dependent on the junction and transfer points.

Comment

Originally posted by AngryHamster View Post
          I dont think you meant that Carbo--

In copper there is no light waves...only electrical pulses
          In Optical Cables, there is glass sheathed tubing that creates an array spectrum and transmits light......

The best example I have EVER heard is like this:

Your network connection is to your Central ISP co-location point.
          From there it is a bus ride to your destination, with several stops along the way.

Those bus stops can be very fast, or very slow, depending on how organized the bus station is, how efficient that hub is, and the type of infrastructure it is using to direct traffic.

Along the way, the roads are more or less average to very good, but the condition of those routes will also determine the quality of the connection.

Having a faster connection to your ISP will help you upload and download much faster, but the limits are still there because you are dependent on the junction and transfer points.
          I don't think you meant that Hammy--

http://www.livinginternet.com/i/ip_speed.htm

The Speed of Light is a measurement of speed after all, and can be used in speed comparisons

And even though it's not light traveling through the wire, it's still a wave. And remember that wires carrying current differ from wires carrying data, current relies on the random excitement of electrons rather than the transmission of an orderly wave pattern.

Good Bus analogy for Internet speed though

Comment

We know what we mean- if you wish to break down electricity then yes, it is nothing more than electrons, protrons neutrons and etc.

LOL

But in a raw terminology in communication technology- Fiber transports light, Cat 5 and the like does not.

The core difference being that if you get a crack or a scratch in the sheathing of the fiber, you get a VERY low quality signal- if all.

Comment

Regardless Carbon has it right and the bus analogy holds. Improving your connection to your ISP can help but you have no control from when the packet gets into you ISP's net and the internet

Comment

Hence the reason that a satellite connection does not necessarily make for a great internet connection. A Ping to space and back will hinder any gaming ability, although my friend "Painmaker" plays WoW on a Sat connection.

Comment

thats why since i live in new orleans and cain has server in texas, i always have a great ping mwuhahahahahhahahahahahaha i still suck though

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,817   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 4
                  Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

Working...
                  X