Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mapes
    Hey Drunken

Just out of curiosity did you buy COD4 through steam? Cause thats how I got mine.

Initial packet analysis shows steam doing a bunch of background HTTP stuff. I started the capture before firing off COD4 and after launching steam. I then connected to the CLR TDM server. What I saw is that when COD4 launches It does a bunch DNS lookups. When you connect to a server it uses UDP . The odd thing is either steam or COD4 uses the ICMP (ping) protocol to transfer some type of data. I havn't had a chance to look into it more than that since I had to go to work this morning. I am kinda curious about this.

The first step that I could suggest off the top of my head is to make sure you are using your ISPs fastest DNS servers. I assume that COD4 has to connect to the key servers and it's possible that the DNS requests are timing out while it's still trying to resolve the hostnames of the key servers. Just a thought.

BTW I don't think this problem is related to the fact that the router can only have up to 96 TCP connections as COD4 and DNS uses UDP. However if your using steam then it might due to the fact that steam uses HTTP protocol and the HTTP protocol uses TCP. A quick and dirty test would be to load steam up and wait a while till steam is done doing all of it's updates and then launch COD4 and try connecting.

I'll look into it more to night....I'm actually curious

Comment

Doh meant to edit my post not quote it....oh well.

Comment

lol, it's all good mapes. I did not buy through steam. I installed from DVD.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,184   Posts: 269,829   Members: 6,182   Active Members: 5
        Welcome to our newest member, newiron09.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to BF4 new easter egg.. need to know moriss code
          by newiron09
          BTW on iOS use "Light Conversation", its an app from an artist...he spreaded it for light arrangements(stories in lights) in a city...propably...
          15 Sep 2024, 09:24 AM
        • Reply to Otterbox is 10 years old
          by newiron09
          Having tried many cases I've given up on expensive ones. Not convinced they are significantly better than an inexpensive gel case for 1/10 the money....
          15 Sep 2024, 09:20 AM
        Working...
        X