The State of PC Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Premonition

Thats a issue in itself of what i was trying to say. You can`t do it! It takes a year to 2 to make a great game and harware changes to fast. So pc game devs have to code the game first then wait for the tech to catch up. By that time new tech is already replacing that tech and its considered outdated. Its the trasition and why i say microsoft plays a key role. If microsoft drags their feet with 1)vista 2) dx-10 then computer gameing will remain in this stalled state. We are stuck between generations at the moment. Much like when consoles upgrade to this gen. Pc does the same with its OS. Right now the good is about = to the bad on why not to upgrade and that leave game devs in limbo.

PC gaming will never go away or die so to say but it might not be mainstream either as consoles strive to do what pc games have did for years. This gen marks the online play and microsoft set that standard. Sony sees it and isnt far behind. But as console games strive to be better than pc games. PC games seemed stalled with rushed releases, drm infested disks, bugs, etc etc. Maybe piracy is part of the issue but like any issue there is others as well. But the rate that harware comes out and the tech changes is proof that its not the gamers but more the makers who dont know how to appeal to the masses. Like nintendo went outside the box to attract "others" besides hardcore gamers. PC and hardware makers need to bite the bullet and find away to make affordable gaming pc`s that dont cost as much as a car. The average joe doesn't know how to upgrade their system yet buying pre built = upgrades right out the box just to play todays games. Thats not talking future games.

While pc games may never die, it sure can be crippled and it seems to be now. I spent 100 bux to buy a video card to play 2142 decent. Now i need another 1 because it struggles with ut3. Thats retarded. If consoles can run games without needing hardware upgrades pc should be able to as well. But its been this way for ever and not likely to change. Until someone breaks down to offer affordable gaming on pc it will cont. to struggle.
    I offer a different view. You are talking faster and faster release cycles for both hardware and software. This planned obsolescence is what drives people towards consoles. Why basically cheaper hardware platform and no upgrades needed. This is why I say independent dev teams are the solution. For example with no upgrades to my system I can play TF2 which runs great on my current system. It's not about cutting edge development its about playability. Personally as long as the game is first and foremost fun I don't care if it uses the latest tech to render a crate in any sharper detail. Developing games for the bleeding edge is a niche market at best. I do agree with the statement that PC games should drive towards a better multi player experience which I think it does but, I'm not a console driver so I can't say for certain.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,184   Posts: 269,831   Members: 6,182   Active Members: 5
    Welcome to our newest member, newiron09.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to BF4 new easter egg.. need to know moriss code
      by newiron09
      BTW on iOS use "Light Conversation", its an app from an artist...he spreaded it for light arrangements(stories in lights) in a city...propably...
      15 Sep 2024, 09:24 AM
    • Reply to Otterbox is 10 years old
      by newiron09
      Having tried many cases I've given up on expensive ones. Not convinced they are significantly better than an inexpensive gel case for 1/10 the money....
      15 Sep 2024, 09:20 AM
    Working...
    X